Materials and Process Engineer- Manufacturing R&D Support with experience in composite materials, processes, and production manufacturing including out-of-autoclave, autoclave, wetlay, and bonded assemblies. A primary task of this role will be to review preliminary material data, testing, and design requirements to refine materials and process requirements; This includes authoring specifications relevant to such materials and process changes. The engineer in this role will then be responsible for working directly on the manufacturing shop floor in support of production. The engineer will share ownership of the legacy process specifications and work with production and quality teams to reduce non-conformance issues. In addition, this role will support research of new, exploratory materials and their respective process development.
- Share ownership of the existing legacy material and process specifications
- Work directly on the manufacturing shop floor giving “hands on” support to manufacturing engineers and fabricators.
- Develop solutions to non-conformance issues. Consult with Quality on repeat non-conformances, analyze trends, and implement solutions to reduce their frequency.
- Research new materials and manufacturing processes
- Utilize a design of experiment (DOE) approach to testing and down-selection of materials based on manufacturability and optimized mechanical properties.
- Author material and process specifications for new materials.
- Write test plans in support of materials testing.
- Utilize a design of experiment (DOE) approach to planning tests to reduce test time and cost.
What you bring:
- Conversant with advanced composite materials and processing used in the manufacture of aircraft or spacecraft
- Proven research and development (R&D) of composites
- Experience with technical report writing for advanced composite materials
- Experience with out-of-autoclave, autoclave, wetlay, and primary structure bonding
- Experience with thermosetting resins and their characterization
- Experience with high temperature materials highly desired
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong team player
- Excellent computer skills-Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with the design of flight vehicles or vehicle systems to a set of requirements or standards such as CFR 14, Part 400, Part 23 and 25, military or NASA are highly desired
- Applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15)
Minimum Educational Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from an ABET accredited institution, with a concentration in a relevant Engineering / Polymer Science / Chemical Engineering / Materials and Process discipline along with 5-7+ years of experience is required
- Advanced degrees in lieu of experience or in combination with experience are encouraged to apply