Perform functions to purchase commodities including materials, equipment, supplies, and services from a wide range of vendors in support of flight test activities, making decisions based on conclusion for which there is little precedence.
1. Request quotations for materials or services from qualified vendors. Negotiate price, delivery terms, and conditions. Issue letters of intent, purchase orders and request performance bonds as required by policy. Issue letters of credit to vendors as required.
2. Assign company control number to order for tracking and enter data to purchasing system. Prepare periodic progress reports and track pending orders. Monitor the cost, schedule, and performance factors of vendors and subcontractors. May visit vendors to monitor progress or expedite shipment, as necessary.
3. Monitor and stock anticipated and appropriate supply of parts and peripherals to efficiently support the flight test operations.
4. Provide urgent support for AOG (Aircraft On Ground) situations.
5. Arrange and coordinate shipping from vendor to flight test site(s). Communicate with vendors, packing companies, freight forwarders, carriers, and company to refine and clarify shipping orders and to monitor shipments. Compile shipping documentation and forward to appropriate department.
6. Review vendor invoices. Ensure documentation is accurate and corresponds to the purchasing and shipping documents. Approve invoices for payment and transmit to appropriate department.
7. Research and develop new sources of supply and vendors. May visit potential vendors to develop relationships, evaluate capabilities, and negotiate prices and terms. Work with the QA organization to qualify and approve vendors in accordance with organizational policy and procedures.
8. May be assigned to any range of departmental administrative or research operations such as file system development and maintenance, document interpretation, division inventory purchasing audits, new vendor research and/or MHI visitor support.
9. May assist to interview, select, recommend, and hire assistants and buyers. Train and supervise assigned staff. Assign and check work. Provide direction to staff and assist in the investigation and resolution of problems.